Sunday, January 30, 2011

Blog 9 - Electric Charges


While at my uncle's house this weekend, he was doing one of his old hobbies, fixing old cars.  While watching him, I saw that he was cutting iron parts, and that there were some iron filings falling on the floor.  I asked him if he needed help cleaning it up, but he told me its fine as he has an old speaker part that is magnetized.  He uses this part to pick up metal shavings that end up on the floor.  I realized that this was the perfect use of static electricity and charge.  His use of electric charge allows for fast clean up, and further proves that physics is everywhere.  This part works because metal easily loses electrons, becoming positively charged, and this part must be negatively charged, so that it can easily pick up the metal.  Also, while filling up my gas at the gas station, I saw the warning label for static electricity.  I don't know if this is still extra credit, but there it is!

3 comments:

  1. That magnetized speaker is super trippy. Why was it magnetized? Are speakers just normally magnetized or did your uncle do something to it so that he could pick up shavings with it.



    -------------------------------------------------
    (BTW ur not in the picture for the gas station)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if only cleaning up was that easy for everything...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really trippy. The concentration of the metal filings is a really good example of the varying strength of the magnetic fields. The farther away from the speaker part, the less filings there are.

    ReplyDelete